MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) hit a single down the right field line to plate Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) in the 10th inning for his second walk-off winner of the season to complete a five-run comeback for the Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team against Edgewood on Saturday afternoon at Neumann Family Field. The Warriors won game two, 7-6, after falling in the opener, 6-1.
- Scores: Edgewood 6, Wisconsin Lutheran 1; Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Edgewood 6 (10 inn.)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (14-18, 6-10 NACC), Edgewood (19-14, 7-9 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Eagles struck quickly in the opener, scoring a run in the top of the first to take a 1-0 lead.
- Both pitchers settled in until the Eagles scored a run on an error in the fifth.
- The Warriors got a run back in their half of the fifth as KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) drew a bases-loaded walk to plate Schwall.
- Edgewood broke the game open in the sixth, scoring three runs on five hits to take a 5-1 lead.
- EC gained an insurance run in the ninth to push the score to 6-1, which proved to be the final.
- Dylan Knoepsel (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) suffered the loss, allowing five runs in 7.0 innings on the mound.
- Schwall and Colton Tisch (Genoa City, Wis./Badger) paced the Warriors' offense in the opener with two hits apiece. Edgewood out-hit WLC 12-7 and the Eagles capitalized on five Warriors errors.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Edgewood started off hot at the plate in the nightcap, scoring four runs on four hits in the second inning.
- Wisconsin Lutheran took advantage of a throwing error in the third to cut its deficit to 4-1.
- The Eagles scored a pair of runs in the fifth to hold the 6-1 advantage.
- The Warriors cut that lead down to just two with a three-run sixth inning, highlighted by a two-RBI single from Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western). WLC knotted the game up at 6-6 in the eighth as Schwall scored on a wild pitch and Banse drove in a run on a fielding error.
- Schwall and Tisch led off the 10th reaching base, and Engelbrecht ended the game on a two-out hit down the right field line to plate Schwall and complete the comeback.
- Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis./Mayville) earned his first win of the season, allowing only three hits in 5.0 innings of work out of the bullpen. Spencer Michaelis (Wauwatosa, Wis./East) did not receive a decision in 5.0 innings on the rubber.
- Engelbrecht recorded a four-hit game in the nightcap, and Schwall added his second two-hit game of the day and scored three runs. The hosts took advantage of five errors by Edgewood.
FOR THE FOES
- Steve Gavin improved his record to 3-2 on the season, pitching a complete game with only one run allowed. The Eagles were led by three hits each from both Jonathan Roehler and Nick Lehner.
- Danny Appino suffered the loss in 1.2 innings of relief work. Adam Eck did not receive a decision, allowing four runs, zero earned, in 5.2 innings of work. Jeff Tucker recorded three hits for the Eagles in game two.
- The Warriors return to action Monday afternoon for a critical NACC doubleheader at Marian (11-22, 5-11 NACC). First pitch is scheduled for Noon. The Sabres dropped a pair of games against Concordia Wisconsin on Saturday afternoon. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.