MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team defeated the Blue Angels from Mount Mary 7-0 in a non-conference match at Warrior Soccer Field on Friday night for its first win of the season.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Mount Mary 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-3-0), Mount Mary (1-3-0)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 106
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors got on the board early scoring in the first minute when Megan Henning (Grafton, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) scored her first career goal from five yards out off of a cross from Dempsey O'Brien (West Allis, Wis./Nathan Hale) to put WLC up 1-0.
- Henning would find the back of net again in the 4' off of a cross inside of the box from Abby Himm (Grand Blanc, Mich./Homeschooled) which put the Warriors in front 2-0 early in the first half.
- Helen Joyce (De Pere, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) scored her second goal of the season when she fired a shot from just inside of the box to put the Warriors up 3-0 at the half. The goal was unassisted.
- The Warriors continued the scoring in the second half when Henning connected with Himm for her first goal of the season in the 57' to put WLC up 4-0.
- In the 58', Olivia Scheiber (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) fired a shot from just outside of the box for her first goal of the season off another assist by Henning which put WLC ahead 5-0.
- Joyce would score her second goal of the game in the 64' when a Blue Angels defender turned the ball over in their defensive half and she finished off the 1-on-1 goal.
- O'Brien was able to tap the ball into the back of the net when she benefited from a misplay by the Blue Angels' keeper for her first goal of the season extending the Warriors lead to 7-0 in the 69'.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors out-shot the Blue Angels 31-4 with a 16-2 shot on goal advantage.
- Belle Flucas (Waconia, Minn./Mayer Lutheran) led the Warriors' offensive attack with a match-best seven shots. Joyce contributed six.
- Hailey Krause (Wauwatosa, Wis./Pius XI) notched the shutout for WLC with two saves.
- Henning recorded six points on the night for the Warriors, scoring her first two career goals and assisting on two others.
- O'Brien finished the with one goal and an assist.
- The Warriors improved their all-time record against Mount Mary to 11-1-2.
- The Warriors will be back in action on Monday, September 12 when they travel to North Park (0-2-0) for a non-conference contest at the Holmgren Athletic Complex. Match time is set for 4:15 p.m. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.