RIPON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's tennis team won four of six singles matches to recover from an early deficit and defeat Ripon 5-4 on Thursday in its season opener at Larson Courts.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Ripon 4
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-0), Ripon (0-1)
- Location: Larson Courts, Ripon, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ripon took an early 2-1 lead through doubles play after winning matches at No. 1 (8-2) and No. 2 (8-4). Katarina Volkmann (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) and Hannah Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) claimed the Warriors' first win at No. 3 with an 8-2 win.
- The Red Hawks picked up wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, as WLC's Tabitha Schultz (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho/Luther Preparatory) suffered a tough three-set setback, 7-6, 4-6, 10-6.
- The Warriors bounced back with four wins to conclude singles competition and win the match over the Red Hawks.
- Emily Boyd (Lebanon, Wis./Luther Preparatory) earned a hard-fought 6-4, 6-7, 10-7 win at No. 3. Volkmann was a 6-1, 6-1 winner at No. 4. Kendra Bergmann (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) and Gerbing closed out singles play with 6-4, 6-2 and 6-1, 6-1 wins at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors have defeated the Red Hawks on the road for the second straight season by identical 5-4 scores.
- Volkmann is 7-3 in her last 10 singles matches dating back to last season.
- Wisconsin Lutheran travels to Menomonie on Saturday for a pair of non-conference matches against St. Ambrose (0-1) and host UW-Stout (0-0) at 12:00 and 3:00 p.m., respectively.