MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team earned its third straight split in NACC action on Friday afternoon against Alverno, taking the first game in a 7-5 thriller in 11 innings before dropping the nightcap 10-4 in six innings due to darkness at Alverno Field.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Alverno 5 (11 Inn.); Alverno 10, Wisconsin Lutheran 4 (6 Inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (14-8, 5-3 NACC), Alverno (10-15, 3-7 NACC)
- Location: Alverno Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 55
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- In a game that consisted of 37 total hits, the Warriors got on the board right away in the first when Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) singled to score Sydney Horton (Crestwood, Ill./Alan B. Shepard).
- The Inferno answered in the bottom half, tying the score at 1-1.
- After Alverno plated three in the third, WLC answered to score two to bring the score to 4-3. A two-out, two-RBI single from Horton plated Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) and Brea Johnson (Cumberland, Wis./Cumberland).
- WLC tied the score in the seventh when Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap) singled to left field scoring Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis./Ashwaubenon).
- In the 10th, the Warriors took the lead off another RBI from Horton, but Alverno quickly tied it again in the bottom half.
- The Warriors took the lead for good in the 11th on a two-run single from Akright.
- WLC pounded out 20 hits in the game, led by four apiece from Horton, Robison, and Mahsem.
- Horton and Akright also collected three RBIs apiece for the Warriors.
- Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) picked up the victory, improving her record to 5-2 after 5.1 innings in relief and allowing one earned run.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- A nine-run fifth inning doomed the Warriors, as Alverno won 10-4 in six innings when the contest was called due to darkness.
- WLC once again got on the board first as Schellpfeffer and Mahsem tallied RBIs.
- After the Inferno plated a run in the fourth, the Warriors extended their lead to 4-1 in the fifth.
- Mahsem ripped another double to left, plating Robison and Horton.
- Alverno rallied and eventually put the game away in its half of the fifth, as the hosts tallied nine runs on nine hits in the frame.
- Mahsem's record fell to 5-2 on the season, as she allowed six runs in 4.1 innings.
- Mahsem and Horton had two hits apiece, and five other Warriors recorded a hit.
FOR THE FOES
- Alverno posted a strong offensive game in the opener, racking up 17 hits. Ashlie Rossi and Bailey Jedrzejewski had four hits each, and Olivia Schneider had three.
- Schneider suffered the loss, throwing 7.2 innings and allowing six runs on 15 hits.
- The first seven batters in the Inferno lineup recorded at least one RBI in game two and eight starters had at least one hit. Carina Jimenez and Schneider had two hits each.
- Rossi boosted her record to 6-5 in the circle, tossing 6.0 innings and allowing nine hits.
- The Warriors resume NACC action on Saturday afternoon when they host Benedictine (17-9, 5-3 NACC) in a doubleheader with first pitch scheduled for Noon. The Eagles are coming off a tough sweep against first-place Aurora on Wednesday afternoon, losing 5-0 and 10-8.